Posted by Stephanie on 1/6/2020 to
Eating with your feathered friend is a great way to socialize them; however, there are some foods that humans love that should never be offered to pet birds because of potential toxicity.
Below are a few food items to avoid:
- The pits of apricots, cherries, nectarines, peaches and plums
- Fried Foods
- Carbonated beverages
- Candy of any kind
- High fat, high salt or high sugar products (ie: salted crackers)
- Peanuts - shells are known to harbour the mould Aspergillus flavus which can cause Aspergillosis in parrots.
- Sunflower seeds: very high in fat. Safflower seeds are a better alternative
Other items to avoid:
- Gravel/Grit: Parrots do not need grit. Grit can help doves/pigeons etc that consume seeds WHOLE to digest their food, but since parrots crack the seeds hulls before consuming them they do not need this added supplement.
Let us know in the comments below if there are other food items we should add to the list!